Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Attending the Webinar: ’12 Keys to High-Quality Early Childhood Inclusion’

 
 

‘Inclusive classes’ is a necessity all over the world since both disabled and abled students are taught in the same class having equal opportunities to participate so that disabled students are no longer treated as weak people. In Lebanon, the latest number of registered disabled people until the end of January, 2013 is 80,703.Thus, as a teacher I may have disabled students in my class. Thus, if I don’t have enough knowledge about how I should deal with such students and what strategies, methods and techniques I should include in my class I will face problems. As a result, successful learning will be prohibited. To have a good repertoire about childhood inclusion, I attended an online webinar on February 28 titled ’12 Keys to High-Quality Early Childhood Inclusion’ presented by Kathryn Wahl.

This webinar is very important and beneficial since it defines inclusion and makes its meaning clear by using pictures to show the differences between this concept and segregation, integration and exclusion. This comparison helps me truly understand that inclusion is about including students of different abilities in one class where effective learning takes place.

Moreover, this webinar helps me know that inclusion is not only about putting students of different abilities in the same class. It is also promoting belonging and membership. As teachers, we should encourage participation of all students in class work. Kathryn said that this happens when the teacher uses evidence-based practices and adapt the activities she designs to suit all students like using visual aids and activities that demand students’ movement from their seats.

In addition to that, Kathryn tells us how the environment in class should be. She emphasizes that the environment should be a friendly and not a holistic one. This happens by facilitating communication between students themselves and between the teacher and the students. Thus, as a teacher I will be a good listener and an observer for peer interaction so that I will interfere when needed.

Furthermore, inclusion is not only beneficial for disabled students. Kathryn informed us that inclusion has good impact on the society and on the abled students same as on the disabled ones. She mentioned that when the disabled students are taught in a natural way they establish good relationship with their peers, have higher self-esteem and overcome fears. Also, inclusion benefits the adults and teachers since they know more about the resources in the community and helps prepare all children for future experience in their society.

ICP (Inclusive Classroom Profile) by Soukakou is mentioned by Kathryn as an instrument measure used to assess the quality of inclusion practices. She suggested that the ICP helps us know if we are practicing high quality inclusion or not. She said that the ICP is designed to be used in classes that have at least one disabled student. In fact, Kathryn talked a lot about this instrument and mentioned that the 12 areas are identified when are graded by the ICP to define the quality of inclusion. As a teacher, I will look at the twelve areas that I will mention then in this reflection to know if I am using a high quality inclusion in my classroom or not.

Moreover, Kathryn mentioned the 12 Keys that make the class a really inclusive and successful one. In fact, these keys are fruitful and will be essentials in my class. Some of these keys are: The teacher should help students use the materials and should promote ease of use.- Children should have the freedom to choose their play.- The teacher should help in conflict resolution.- Membership should take place to promote social climate and to nurture individual differences.- The teacher should insist on having effective communication in her class by using different aids and she should look at the quality of the social interaction.-The teacher should encourage students’ participation in group activities by motivating them.

This webinar gives me the principals that will make my class a place where any student is welcomed and where my pupils’ needs are met. As a teacher, I will make sure that my students are sharing me the decisions regarding the lessons I will explain or the activities I will do. Also, I will choose topics that are related to their interests so that they participate in classroom discussion. In addition to that, I will monitor students’ interaction and build team spirit by making activities that promote students’ respect and effective communication. Also, I will manage a comfortable space in class so that all students are able to easily move and get access to the material.

            Kathryn’s webinar about classroom inclusion is interesting and beneficial. But Kathryn herself admits that she is fast by saying ‘I’m too fast’. In my opinion, what is important is to have fruitful information and be presented in a suitable speed where the listeners aren’t annoyed by the amount of information they are thinking about instead of having a lot of information and the listener don’t have to deeply think about them.

            Attending this webinar was a nice experience since it is the first online webinar I watch. I found that attending webinars has many advantages like saving money and time, having the opportunity to contact with the presenter after the webinar is finished and gaining fruitful knowledge and information while staying home or in the office.

1 comment:

  1. I attended the same Webinar. It was really beneficial, and it offered precious information that can be applied in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete